Name: David Roy Edgar
Year of birth: 1978
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (0) 796 329 3139
I'm a software and web developer with 15 years industry experience.
I take pride in applying my eye for detail to architecture, debugging and documentation, and I have a conscientious approach to creating software which fulfils the needs of the end-user.
I enjoy taking central roles in teams with agile workflows, and I also gain satisfaction from working with people in non-engineering positions, using my excellent communication skills to bridge the technical – non-technical gap.
2015 – present
At the same time as my freelance software activities, I've also been working with several non-profit organisations, and on some of my own projects.
2015 – present
- As principal server-side developer, I've been responsible for developing the OpenCart-based website and designing and implementing a REST API for the vendor app.
- Additional roles have included coaching junior engineers remotely, setting up automated testing using selenium, and testing the website, API, and Android app.
- I've defined project needs and user requirements in collaboration with all other team members and have frequently provided technical direction.
Honorary web consultant
2015 – present
- Implemented a bespoke low-bandwidth website to provide essential textbooks to medical staff in poorly networked locations.
- I set up a mobile database to log medical operations in the field.
- Consultant to non-technical staff on a wide variety of technical matters.
2013 – 2014
Travelling round the world and hiking.
Senior Software Engineer
2008 – 2013
- Part of an agile team which developed the MusicUnlimited music streaming clients for Android, Windows 8 and PSP platforms.
- Built and extended a library for TCP hole punching (NAT traversal) for peer-to-peer systems.
- Responsible for developing jquery / HTML5 user interfaces for visualisation and management of home energy storage, monitoring and user control systems.
2001 – 2008
- Designed a messaging system protocol (over a wireless RTSP/RTP/HTTP connection) for the LocationFree TV device and implemented it on an embedded VxWorks platform.
LocationFree was available to consumers across the world. I had a major role in further development and maintenance for many versions over a number of years.
- Responsible for the design of a data transport component of an LPR/LPD-compatible TCP-based protocol for transferring printing data over a wireless connection and its C/C++ implementation on the VxWorks real-time OS for both client and server devices of the Airboard wireless TV.
- Developed an XMPP instant messaging client in Java to run on an embedded platform.
2000 – 2001
- Web development, server-side Java on the ATG Dynamo platform.
Trainee Software Engineer (undergraduate sandwich year)
1998 – 1999
- VBScript support for management planning and monitoring processes.
- Developed C++ application & middleware for PC control of a CNC milling machine.
- Mathcad modelling for GPS systems.
C++, Visual Basic, VBA, Mathcad
The University of Manchester
1996 – 2000
BSc (Hons), Computer Science with Industrial Experience, 1st Class
Along with studying a wide range of subject areas across the discipline, I learnt C and Java.
For my final year project, I developed two mapping applications to connect a Psion 5 PDA to a Garmin GPS unit. I implemented several GPS serial protocols in C on the EPOC OS, with geographic coordinate transformations, graphics and a GUI front end.
Beaumont School, St Albans
1989 – 1996
- 4 A-Levels: Pure Maths, Applied Maths (Mechanics), Physics & Chemistry
- 10 GCSEs: all A*–C, including Maths, English & Science
References available on request.